Monday 3 August 2009

4 to Watch - Ligue 1

With the new season only 5 days away, I've picked out 4 players that I think will do really well this season in Ligue 1, you may have heard of them you may have not, but I hope by week 38 they will be all better known either worldwide or in Ligue 1.

Charlies Davies
SOCHAUX #9


Last month Charlie made his move to Ligue 1, arriving in Sochaux via Hammarby in Sweden, now if you had asked me 2 months ago who Charlie Davies was, I would have no idea, now he is a player I know quite well.

Charlie first came to my attention while playing Pro Evo. My made up Master League team Benidormida had a game against Hammarby, Myself and Sean (SJ_???? from Evo-Web) had been updating players and changing their names from CAPS to Lower Case when the stast had been done to keep an tab on whats been done, So while playing Hammarby, a Player made a run it was Charlie, I thought to myself, that's not a very Swedish name.

It was then during the recent Confederations Cup that I got my first glimpse of his play, I think it was the Game against Italy, I was watching the highlights in work, and we saw the USA #9 miss a header, we didn't recongnise him, so off to Wikipedia we went searching for the USA squad, and there he was #9 Charlies Davies, ah so that's him, I was intreged with this American playing his football in Sweden, so when he got a start against Egypt when the USA pulled off the miracle of qualifying I was impressed, Pace, Power, good dribbling, and eye for goal, definitely a player with potential, he then played for 69 minutes against Spain in the shock 2-1 result, the qualities I had noticed in the previous match where still there, and although he didn't score he worked hard for his team, and was a big part of the result.

The Final against Brazil was probably his best performance, making lots of runs down the channels and linking well with Landon Donovan, it was that link up play that set up USA's 2nd goal, Donovan broke away, played the ball wide to Charlie, his pace made it possible to reach the ball and play a lovely first time ball back to Donovan and he supplied the finish, fantastic break away goal, and good set up from Davies.

At this time I was getting into using the website Twitter and alot of the USA squad were on there, so I began following Charlies, and he comes across as a nice guy, straight after the Confed Cup, USA played in the Gold Cup and Charlie hit the 4th goal in the win over Honduaras, i nice finish from a 1 on 1 situation.

After this game the rumours of the Sochaux move started gathering pace, Charlie didn't play in anymore Confed cup games, and there was various tweets to Charlie's account from fellow USA players saying well done and good luck, then Sochaux officially announced the move, and I think although it's a bold move from FCSM to replace goal scorer Mevlut Erding with a realitively unknown player, I think they may have unearthed a Gem, since preseason has begun Charlies actually replied to me on twitter when I asked him how training was going, He replied saying it was good, all the players were nice, but he needs to learn French fast.
I can't wait to see him in the Yellow of Sochaux hopefully doing what I've seen of him in various Youtube videos and in the Stars and Stripes.




Yohan Cabaye
LILLE #7


Ever since my love affair with Lille began, Cabaye has been a player I have enjoyed watching, my first season watching Lille, the midfield trio was Makoun, Dumont and Bodmer, and Cabaye still found a way to break into the lineup, so much that Dumont was dropped and Tafforeau became the captain, now Bodmer and Makoun are at Lyon, and Cabaye is one of the main men in Lille's midfield, add to him Florent Balmont and Rio Mavuba, it's one of the best midfields in Ligue 1 in my opinion.

Cabaye suited Claude Puels style of a high tempo pressing midifield and he works hard, defends when he's needed and attacks when the opputunity arises, since Rudi Garcia has taken over instead of 5 across the middle it's now a more compact trio, Cabaye still impresses, add to this good passing range, an eye for goal, great heart, and can also bend in a Free Kick or two.
I think this season could be one of him best to date, now at 23 having played over 100 games for Lillois, it's time Cabaye took control of his team, a potential captain with Tafforeau now gone too, I couldn't think of a better player to lead the team out.

Arsene Wenger has glanced his eye over Yohan a few times, but this season I think he won't be the only one.




Mevlut Erding
PSG #11


This summer Mevlut got his big break, moving to the Capital to the cauldron that is the Parc des Princes.Guillaume Hoarau coped really well last year, being Pauleta's replacement and the spearhead of the PSG attack, now he has a partner in the Turkish international, scoring 11 goals in each of his last 2 seasons for Sochaux he has made himself known to the footballing world, I've always like his finishing, looks a composed player, good pace, skillful, looks to me like he will fit in very well in Paris, and with Sessegnon and Giuly supply the amunation, the PSG fans could be in for a treat.





Gregory Sertic
Bordeaux #22


Gregory has only played 6 games for the Bordeaux first team but what an impact he has made. PLaying 69 minutes in his debut against Rennes he scored in his next match against Sochaux, playing from central midfield Gregory has an eye for goal he scored 7 goals last season in the CFA reserve league, and has also led to his call up to the French u21 team, with Bordeaux lack of big signings so far, I expect Gregory to play a bigger part in the team and his stock will surely rise in Ligue 1.





If you wanna comment at the bottom with your own suggestions of players, or any thoughts on these players, please feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment