Wednesday 12 August 2009

SPL Preview

3 days till the big kick off in Scotland, and although it may be put in the shadow for the Rich cousin next door, being Scottish of course my eyes will be fixed on the events North of the English border.

I'll go through each team giving my opinion

ABERDEEN

Although they finished 4th last season , I think only a miracle will see the same this season, gone are Jamie Smith, Scott Severin and Lee Mair, in comes ex-Swindow defender Jered Ifil.

Smith and Severin were 2 massive players in the Aberdeen midfield and I can't see who's going to replace them, I can't see where the goals are going to come from, and after the embarrassing defeat to Sigma Olomouc 5-1 at Pittodrie finished the tie before it start, I can see a very long season for new manager Mark McGhee.

CELTIC


Confidence is high at Parkhead, Tony Mowbray has come in, and they are playing some good football, I think he has made some very clever signings, Marco-Antoine Fortune looks the target man that Vennegoor never was, Landry N'Guemo has looked very good in pre-season, I hope Celtic preagreed a fee for after the loan-deal cause he market value will increase alot this year, a terrific showing in Moscow has got all the Celtic fans smiling.

Danny Fox the left back from Coventry has put Lee Naylor on the bench already, showing confidence and class after only 1 competitive start.

As always the title challenge will be a 2 horse race, and Celtic's horse is looking in very good shape.

DUNDEE UNITED

Craig Levein has done a fantastic job at Tannadice, I remember not too long ago The Arabs were a very poor team, struggling in the bottom half, now they are one of the strongest outside the Old Firm, and they have again added to a talented team.

Already having the likes of Lee Wilkie, Craig Conway, Francisco Sandaza and Prince Buaben these are all players that have impressed me every time I've watched United play, and Levein has added ex-Hearts/Rangers defender Andy Webster he has 22 Scotland caps aswell, instantly adds quality to the team, journeyman Danny Cadamateri has joined I actually think he will do pretty well in the SPL if he can get match fit, unknowns Damian Casalinuovo and Dusan Pernis will have to let time tell on them, I can see a 3rd place finish for United this season, they deserve a Europa place for all the good work the club has done.

FALKIRK

10th place last year, not a great year but not being relegated is a bonus.
Big man Michael Higdon has left for St-Mirren, some new faces have come in, however I think the plus point that new manager Eddie May should concentrate on is players like Darren Barr, Marc Twaddle and Scott Arfield are still at the club and they need to add to these players.
Under John Hughes I always though Falkirk played some nice attacking football with emphasis on passing.

Anything better than 10th will be a result, however it may be a struggle.



More to follow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment